PALAWANdering

Trip Date: August 25-28, 2010
Started writing on: March 23, 2011
Started blogging (as draft) on: February 23, 2012
Published post: March 20, 2012
Updated: November 10, 2012 (yet, unfinished)
And the cycle of procrastination goes... Oh no!


Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.
-John Lubbock

It was not summer then. 

August is normally a rainy month in the Philippines, but not the time when we were set to fly to Palawan. Thank God!  The weather was good for a travel, but the “weather within me” was dark and cloudy.  Almost every sign that could have told me not to come passed by – last minute tasks at work,  some financial constraints, other responsibilities,  and…honestly, some confusions about the person from the past.  And did I mention that the trip was scheduled 25th to 28th of August, the third day being my 26th birthday?  Birthday away from home was something new to me. It was also the time when quarter-life crisis was at its peak.

“Lord,” I said, “If pursuing this trip is according to Your will, then let it happen. And let me feel that I deserve it. I’ve been too tired and sick lately."

And it did happen.  Otherwise, I would have not been able to write this blog. 

We almost missed our plane ride.  We were able to board the plane almost when it was about to take off. How was that?  The reason for this is another story.

We were deprived of sleep.  We headed to the airport right after our 4-hour overtime from our 4pm-1AM work.

But look...Hello Puerto Princesa!  
I guess that shirt was meant to be worn.  I loved the place! And I still do!


 VentureVille. 


This is the pension house where we stayed in.  The accommodation was pre-booked with the tour package.  I think it is not so-much known for travelers, but I believe the place is decent enough for a budget-friendly stay. Everything you might need is available, just with the absence of luxury.  We stayed at their apartment type rooms.  






Food Trips


The first meal we ever had in Puerto Princesa was in Balinsasayaw.  It is located along Rizal Avenue, fronting Itoy’s Coffee House.  For a place located along a highway, the ambience is good.  Each table is set up in a kubo (nipa hut).  The setup is good for small groups’ gatherings. The food is not bad at all, but it wasn’t special.  One thing unforgettable with that place was the bell which we had to shake everytime we needed assistance from the waiters and waitresses.  And that is from time to time. Ha!




Kinabuch’s was not unknown to me because I did my research prior to the trip. But we decided to dine there on the first night of stay also because of the tour guide’s recommendation.  The food is good.  The place is good for gimmicks as it is set up as a bar.  There is also a billiard hall which attracted my guy peers.  I thank  heavens that the place was crowded, because if not, they’d just play and I will be stuck watching at the side (coz I’m not a fan of the game).

On the second night,  we went back there to take out two of Palawan’s signature delicacies – One:  Crocodile meat.  Two: Tamilok.  Yeah!  Define exotic.  The first one is awesome, I tell you.  It’s just like eating pork.  I loved how it was prepared.  The second one’s kinda challenging.  It’s like eating talaba (oyster), but I’d choose talaba over it.  It was still awesome -- yes, an awesome experience.  The vinegar saved us from it.  And yeah, with the beer, I didn’t really care that much. So, after a few bottles and few tries of these exotic stuff, Happy Birthday to me!

  
We also tried Bilao at Palayok. The place was serene.  Another close to nature experience, with the golden kois swimming in the water under the dim light. And when I say nature, let’s include the mosquitoes as well.  Hehe!  Yeah, I should have worn pants rather than shorts.  Anyway, I did not mind.  But with food, I can’t say anything.  It’s just delectable!  



Talk about ironies.  I did't have pictures of the food. :D 


Then, Ka Lui.  My personal favorite. Undeniably, it’s also one of the most famous restaurants in the city. Their barefootin’ gimmick makes them unique.  The feel makes you want to think that you’re in a native nipa hut in the middle of a farm, with folk songs as the background.  They serve different specials from day to day.  So you will not end up ordering the same set of meals per day.  This is, however, the most expensive of meals that we had during our stay.






Hops and Stops.


DAY 1. City Tour.

 For a three-day stay in a place far from home,  some kind of educational tour doesn't hurt.  :)

The first tour that we had was to Crocodile Farm (formally known as National Wildlife and Conservation Center.  I'd say that Politics is not very terrible in the place,  but you could find a lot of small to big crocodiles here (oh well... literally, I mean).  
Crocodile Farm / National Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Center 
 
Then, off to Baker's Hill -- which I think is the most popular bakeshop in the city. It's not their food that I enjoyed but the gang's some crazy photo shoots, I guess. ^_^






Then, to Iwahig Penal Colony.  A prison without bars.  Law-offenders (even from outside of Palawan) are sent here as prisoners.  Either they plant crops,  do some handicrafts and  other activities.  I have heard of an airconditioned jail in Subic, but I guess nothing beats this.   Our tour guide told us that some of the prisoners bring their families to live them there.  With the kind of surroundings they have,  plus the free food provided to them, who would want to escape?  We even joked of trying to violate a traffic rule in the city so we could have a permanent home to stay in. Haha!
Iwahig.  The prison without bars.  Except that one in the middle picture.
Mitra's Ranch.  We had a very short stop here.  I just enjoyed the view and the feel of being a Haciendera even for a few minutes.

Mitra's Ranch.
The city has it's own Baywalk, too.  We did not have the chance to stroll around though, because it rained when we were there.  This blurry picture attempted to capture the beauty of the city lights.


Puerto Prinsesa's Baywalk.  

***UNDER CONSTRUCTION.  MORE PICTURES AND STORIES TO COME.***

Share:

0 comments