Sole. Soul. Sole

“Not all those who wander are lost.” –J.R.R. Tolkien

These itching feet, the eagerness to experience something new, my deep affection for nature, my drive for learning and self-development, my extreme need of silence and solitude led me to my first solo travel.  Not so far away from home, but at least a way to escape humdrum of the daily life.
Exactly a week after my 27th birthday, I packed my bag and headed my way to Brahma Kumaris in Tagaytay for an overnight weekend retreat.

The virtues. Got love, huh! :)
Brahma Kumaris Center for Spiritual Learning provides a good venue for any people from all walks of life to experience self-transformation and spiritual nourishment.  It’s a non-governmental and non-profit organization.  That was according to my internet research.  My curiosity and my simple awe with the pictures really made me want to pursue the trip -- come what may!

I really thank heavens it did not rain.  I believe it was a blessing, with the fact that it rained so hard the weekend and days before.

Located along the Magallanes Drive of the nature haven Tagaytay, it’s about 2 hrs ride from Pasay City, Manila.  I was going only from West to South of Cavite (if my sense of direction serves me right). Although that was the case, I was surprised to have consumed a three-hour travel. Compared to someone who had to travel from Metro Manila, I would say it was pretty much the same as riding a bus from somewhere in Quezon City. 

I rode the bus from SM Bacoor and got off it along the highway where Starbucks and Leslie’s are located.  Fronting them is Magallanes Square. I saw a couple or more of tricycles piled up.  I had the chance to ask the drivers where the location was.  Time conscious, I had to ride the tricycle for a twenty-five peso special ride, when I really wanted to walk to the venue.  I learned that it  was actually a walking distance away.

The tricycle stopped in front of seemingly small house where the fountains welcomed me, and the words on the wall seemed to find a route to my eyes, to my mind, to my heart.  The door was closed.  From the glass walls on both sides of it, I can see people from inside. 

There was a woman in white among all others, approaching to open the door.  Yeah, it brought me a feeling that I was attending a cult of some sort, or entering a mental institution perhaps. Woah! Paranoid!  For a moment, I had this little contemplation, “Should I get in or not?”  But hey, I’ve researched too much about the place and what to expect.  I knew they are the Brahma Sisters (and there are Brothers, too).    These kinds of feelings really happen to me. The feeling of uncertainty instantly vanished, especially when I saw a group of youth lined up for registration. “This is it!”

Fixture on the wall.
There's a lot of this design all over the place.  Find out why.


Since I went there by myself, I expected to have a stranger roommate.  That was fine.  I went to the room as advised by the lady in white.  The stranger roommate gave me only three minutes to make myself comfortable with her.  We shared bits of our life stories.  She became my buddy for the whole weekend.

The “seemingly small house” is not really that small. The overall ambiance of the place is captivating.  It fits someone like me who really loves silence.  The architectures are simple but endearing.  Babba’s room was even catchier—dome-like.  We had the chance to get inside and take pictures of us there.     I realized that the garden landscaping was not that spectacular, but it surely could make a stressed soul breathe in comfort.  I observed there were lots of chairs – chairs of different kinds, probably a way to cater to the need of rest. Around every corner, even in the dine hall, you can see motivational words. 

I believe their workshop- type retreats are unique in a way that there are no heavy moments that you have to cry your heart out.  They focus on the positive approach, not having to imply something like “You have sinned.  Repent!” Most of the time, they focus on the soul, as the main source of your being.  I don’t feel the emphasis on any religion, though there may be. They also name the “highest being” as God”.  Meditation is practiced every time an activity starts and ends. They teach the open- eye meditation.    Moments of silence are strongly encouraged.  You will realize that lots of things are yet to learn and realize, but you don’t have to agree with everything.

"violet rice", mixed veggies, vegetarian chicharon
and spicy orange dip, eggless leche flan.
One of the best parts of my stay was the vegetarian diet.  I’m never diet conscious, but I loved every meal there.  Maybe because I am always a vegetable fan.  Or maybe the amazement on the alternative ways of cooking and preparing food.  Oh, I think they are vegans, to be specific.  They do not consume any animal, its products and by-products. Well, that explains the eggless pandesal and other baked products that we ate, even the eggless leche flan. 

On my way home, I brought the thought that:  it is not about the culture, not the religion, nor any differences between us.   What’s within us will drive us to our beings that would be very useful as we co-exist with the diverse world.




FURTHER INFORMATION YOU MAY WANT TO KNOW.


How to contact them:
Brahma Kumaris Retreat Center for Spiritual Learning
1020 Magallanes Drive, Tagaytay City
Tel/Fax:  (046) 483 2128
Mobile:              (+63) 917 502 0243     
Email: tagaytay@bkwsu.org
The website also shows a list of events, retreats, lectures and other programs they cater.

To know more about Brahma Kumaris as whole, visit their main website, Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University, which will also give you the BK locations near you, other than Tagaytay.

Expected budget:
Not much budget is expected if you’re going to Tagaytay solely for that.  Most likely, you’d be spending only on the transportation.
As a matter of fact, their programs are offered FREE.  According to one of my retreat-mates (whatever you call that), they conduct one-day retreats free of charge, including the food. Ours was a two-day program, so we gave one thousand pesos “contribution” for the food and utility use. They don’t ask it the moment you come in.  I actually had to remind them about before I leave. They gave me a little envelope, hand-made from a scratch paper and asked me to drop it on the contribution box. 

What to bring:
Bring clothes that are “appropriate” for the event and the climate.  Since the place is Tagaytay, bring clothes for cold weather.  Since the event is a retreat, do not wear revealing clothes.

Bring bath towel and other toiletries, except for bathroom tissues -- I noticed they have lots of them.  Bring mosquito repellant.  Since they are surrounded with plants, you can find mosquitoes everywhere.

On  Change.



Share:

2 comments