Around the World In an Hour and A Half


MV Logos Hope in Manila. Photo from Captain Tom Dyer of MV Logos Hope.  
This is given as a souvenir photo  to those who signed in to the Captain's Log.
 



On a Sunday after a stressful week, I should have chosen to go to a spa, to stay at home and lay down in bed, or probably munch my favorite comfort food.  But I didn’t.  Reason:  It always feels good to be with the things I love.  To me, it could mean: books, coffee/coffee shops, the sea, children, or experiencing something new.  And guess what, it feels better to have them in one stop. And I did.

It was a trip to MV Logos Hope – the world’s largest floating bookstore to date.

The trip was not all easy and relaxing for me.  Before I reached the place, I had lots of uncertainties -- given that it was unplanned, the place is out of my comfort zone, and I was going there alone. But there are some times that I test myself on how much I can do for the things I want or need.  This was one of those moments.

My biggest thanks to the internet, not only for letting me know this whole thing, but also for letting me earn the commuter’s armor – a direction on how to get there.  The breeze coming from Manila Bay welcomed me.  Yes, I successfully reached the place. 

The people lining up to get in surprised me.  Such a long line which I usually see in movie houses, mall cashiers or concerts.  I never knew there are still a lot who share with me the same passion I have with books.  People went there with their families, kids, or peers. I was alone, but I didn’t mind.  I suddenly had the thought of comparing myself with a wave in the sea as heard and read from Morrie Schwartz , and his student Mitch Albom.  The thought may not be ocean-deep, but I agree with Morrie when he said, “You are not a wave.  You’re a part of the ocean.”  Certainly, I am part of a larger thing. 


Honestly,  I was spending hours staring in the computer monitor,  trying to organize my ideas on how I would write the story of this trip.  They were all wandering in my mind for several days, and they all slipped out now (just when I had the time to write).  Yeah, poor self! So here comes the usual "Let the pictures tell the story" excuse again.  Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy.


Love at first sight.

Made me think and pause for awhile.

How big is your question mark?



The book-loving crowd


The story of The Prodigal Son.



The view of Manila Bay from inside the ship.  Sweet!

Operation Mobilisation Philippines.

Operation Mobilisation Philippines.

The kids' corner.

They were singing Christian songs.
I was busy saving the ice cream that was about to melt in my hands.

I join them with the dream of making these voices heard all over the world.

Donation box.

Yeah,  life experiences can be blurry sometimes.
But it's not always like that.



Oops, I was caught! I was trying to capture pictures of the different nationalities inside the ship.
Yes, there are many.  American, German,  Dutch,  Indonesian,  South African, Chinese (other than Filipinos of course), etc.
I only had 2 pictures  -- this is one.   Luckily ,these people are very friendly.  All I was able to say is "Thank you!" And he asked me if I  already had the free book.  

Yes,  I missed the sunset. But the city  lights that fill the darkness above the sea is
such an awesome view.  Bye, MV Logos Hope!  'Til we meet again.

I was really hoping to be there on a weekday.  But due to the busy schedule in my other things in life,  I had this  spur-of-the-moment visit.  Although I didn't have the chance to taste their coffee, or take more pictures inside, it was indeed an experience to treasure.  


More pictures to share:
The map.


The map.

This souvenir bag costs PHP 50.00.
Though I know that's quite pricey for that stuff, I didn't mind.
I know it's going to help a lot.

A token after donating P50.00

Free books. I gave one to my niece.



Take Home Book #1: 
Not much of something I want, but probably something I need

Take Home Book #2: 
No plans of being a public speaker, but has of speaking brilliant ideas. 

NOTE TO READERS: Forget about thinking that I just downloaded the pictures from the web ^_^  That's the disadvantage of travelling alone. I was too shy of taking pictures of myself (though I had attempts, grr!) or asking somebody take pictures of me. 


About MV Logos Hope

MV Logos Hope is a successor of MV Duolos and is owned by GBA Ships.  The company's vision and purpose is to bring knowledge, help and hope. 

It carries 5,000 affordable books to choose from.  Genre: science, sports, hobbies, cookery, the arts, medicine, dictionaries, languages, and philosophy.  

They are currently in Manila and is docked at Pier 15, Berth 4, South Harbor from February 17 until March 13. 

More information here: 
http://www.gbaships.org/



Share:

0 comments