Love Letters



After a long day of babysitting to our Little Brianne of the house, I just finished my daily dose of Yahoo-Multiply-Friendster routine -- checked mails and friend updates. Then, I started cleaning my bedroom after not doing it for a couple of weeks or so. I just realized... I really missed home.

As much as I missed home, I feel the longing for some little things I used to do before -- those things that are not anymore a part of my everyday "To do" lists.

I had to step on my bed to reach the upper layer of my cabinet, because it was there where I put the three shoe boxes, each of them houses some of the mementos of my early years. Yes, even at my early days, I already had given importance to that "sentimental value" thing.

A few days from now, I will be 24. This age is not yet old, but is not too young either. The feeling is really different, as I feel the nostalgia of those days where life was less complicated as it may seem to be this day.

I found some old letters. I just wanted to share. You can laugh at the grammar and the thoughts (I, myself did!)

Note: The way I typed them here is the way it was constructed in the original. For a purpose, I did not revise the spelling and the grammar. Sorry about that. :]

-----o0o-----
LETTER NO. 1: Dated January 18, 1994. Just an excerpt from the young Natalie’s letter to her Papa who was in Saudi Arabia or Diego Garcia that time (not sure!). I don’t know where the other pages are. All I can remember was I got this piece from an Air Mail Envelope inside my father’s luggage when he went home. (Dinugas ko for souvenir.)
I wanted to laugh about the contents. But I just remembered, I was the one who wrote it. And the way I wrote it before, I am sure I was serious then, with matching some unintentionally corny jokes.
Kung ako ang magkakaroon ng anak na susulat sa akin ng ganito, siguro ibabalik ko sa kanya ang papel, na duguan sa mga edit marks gamit ang pulang bolpen. Sasamahan ko pa ng PS: “Anak, may penmanship lessons naman kayo, bakit ang panget ng sulat mo?” Hahaha! Joke!

Everdearest Papa,
Good evening! how are you this times. About me bakasyon nanaman ay tapos na kaya it's time to study and review hard. So even the test is difficult, i can think because i study especially in Religion because it's the subject that i got the highest grade. naibigay na sa amin ang test papers sa third quarter exam. Ayos lang naman ang mga grades ko. Kaya lang po, i should study hard the subject of Math, because every quarter exam its the lowest but for me, its not exactly low grade. Sana nga po matapos na ang pagiging grade III ko para makauwi ka na at magkita-kita na tayo para masaya. About my health ay papayat payat parin pero free from all kind of sickness. Kung sa bagay noong maliit ka pa naman ay payatin ka rin kagaya ko. Papa, hindi ko sisirain ang relos na ito o di kaya'y iwala. About my sisters ay okey lang po talaga. Si Donna ay daig pang magsalita si Izza. Wala pa ngang natututunang salita o nababasang salita pero ang alam nya lang ay bumasa ng number at pagbasa ng letters pero yung iba ay hindi niya alam o nami-miss niya ang mga letters. Si Mamae naman ay ayos lang. Gaya ng sinabi ko ay napakadaldal nga po. ang dami-dami nga pong salitang nalalaman. Ang sabi nga po ni Mama sa akin ay sabi daw ni Donna ka uncle ay " Uncle, mahal kita." at yoon ay dati pa hindi ko lang naikuwento sa'yo. Noon naman po ay bago mag-Christmas, kumanta naman po siya. ang kinanta naman niya ay "Hanap-hanap kita sinta ko." At kung wala naman pong okasyon ang kinakanta niya ay "Ibig-ibig kita mahal ko." Ibang klase po eh, 'no?

-----o0o-----
LETTER NO. 2: Don’t know the date it was written. Maybe this is some time between 1995 and 1996 right after I moved to another school for the rest of my Grade School. This is a postcard from my friend, Joie. I can’t seem to think that she had to send a letter via mail, considering that her house is just some blocks away from ours. Nevertheless, I find it very thoughtful! J

Dear Lou,
Hi! How are you? Hope your fine. Kamusta ang grades mo? Sorry kung ngayon lang ako nakasulat. Sina Rubs, Ro, Fran & ryl ay mabuti naman.
Don't be sad, always smile (like this)...
(A drawing of a smiley)
Hug & Kisses,
Joie

-----o0o-----
LETTER NO. 3: This one made me laugh. I just thought that if only text messaging is already in during those times, life won’t be as miserable as this. Haha! Just kidding. I really missed Beryl. She was my classmate since Grade 1. This was a letter before we turn Grade 4. I am not sure if we were able to meet in our tryst.

Dear Lou,
Hi!!! Sorry kung ngayon lang ako sumulat. Sumulat ako para lang tanungin ka Ano ang dadalhin mo sa pasukan? Small bag o big? Sumulat ka sa akin.
Hanggang dito na lang at God Bless.
Love,
Beryl
P.S. Sa pasukan, magkita tayo kila Ate Aireen.
Take Care.

-----o0o-----
LETTER NO. 4: February 27, 1997, before my Graduation. This is from Ruby, my first best friend in Grade school, if I can remember it so right.
Call us ‘jologs’ for the kind of gimmick we chose to have during those times. Hahaha! (Anyway, hindi yata ako nakasama dito.)
Note: This is just an excerpt. Not the entire letter.

Dear Lou,
Kamusta ka na? Sana ay nasa mabuti kang kalagayan kagaya ko. Kamusta naman ang pag-aaral mo? Napili ka ba para kumuha ng NEAT Exam? Kailan ba ang Graduation Day niyo? Congrats ha kahit advance. Next school year first year na tayo. Saan ka ba papasok? Sana dito ka uli pumasok.

Alam mo masaya kami ngayong magbabarkada (Lenie, Krystel, Cindy, Frances, Beryl, Joie) Si Jean Ro naman ay humiwalay na sa amin kamakailan lang doon sya sumama sa grupo nina Jaycee at Marife. Si Krystel, minsan humihiwalay din sa amin pero later on bumalik rin sya. Si Joie naman, huwag ka sanang magagalit pero magkaaway kami simula pa last month. Kasi binibiro ko lang siya at nagalit siya agad sa akin. Hindi naman ako nagalit nang nagalit siya. Nainis lang ako ng sinabi niya na di niya na ako mapapatawad. Pero humihingi siya sa akin ng sorry last time. Pinasabi niya nga kay Krystel eh. Kaso hindi ko alam kung magsosorry ako kasi naguguluhan ako eh.

Oo nga pala magkakaroon kami ng outing. (Lenie, Cindy, Frances, Beryl, Joie, Jean Ro, Krystel. After graduation mamamasyal kami. Kung pwede kang sumama, susunduin ka namin diyan. Papayagan ka ba? Pupunta lang naman tayo sa McDo sa Cavite tapos kina Beryl at sa Tanza. Sana makasama ka.

(..... shortened....)

Your friend,
Ruby

-----o0o-----
LETTER NO. 5: July 22, 1995. From Ruby again. I swear, she is not angry of me for not answering her letters. This letter contains a lot of stories, including some chikas and intrigas. Puberty stage, oh oh!
Note: This is just an excerpt. Not the entire letter.

Dear Lou,
Bago ang lahat ay kinakamusta kita diyan sana ay nasa mabuti kang kalagayan katulad ko dito. Ano ba ang problema mo diyan at hindi ka na sumusulat sa akin sana kung natanggap mo ang sulat ko noon ay huwag mong sasabihin kay Joie Alam mo hindi ako makapaniwala na mayroon na siyang menstration si (Beryl) pero si Beryl na mismo ang nagsabi sa akin noon iyon daw ay last bakasyon pa pero hindi talaga ako makapaniwala kasi medyo isip bata siya eh pero nagbabaon siya ng Whisper sa bag nya huwag ko daw ipagsasabi.
(..... shortened....)
Your friend forever,
Ruby

There was a sudden mixture of reactions and emotions into myself. I wanted to laugh so hard for the crazy scribbles, handwritings and grammar; for the things so petty that turns the world of ours as little kids. At the same time, I felt a sudden melancholy upon the realization that really, nothing is permanent -- people and things come and go. I felt like watching a flashback and comparing everything about myself before and after – the way I think, the things that makes me happy or disappointed.

So much for that.

I have to sleep now, not because of the worry of missing the school bus that would bring me to school tomorrow, or having a homework missed; but because the next day would be another day and everyone is clueless whether it would be a bit tougher or not.

Share:

0 comments